At 02:20 PM 2/6/2003 -0500, Tim Rich, Jr. wrote:
Thanks, Tim -
Then some details are available:

We currently serve ~1500 users, max concurrent connection = 96 users.
The proposed radius server is a Compaq Proliant DL380, Dual 2.4 Xenon CPU, 4
GB memory, attached to a SAN. This server is running Redhat 7.3 (testing to
move to Redhat AS 2.1).
Wow, that's quite a bit of overkill.  If you need 5 9's of reliability
then I would look at dumping that server for a couple smaller/cheaper
servers so that you have multiple servers instead of single one.

Configure those multiple servers on your nas ( you mention it's a cisco
so it can support quite a few ).  Then, if one server happens to go down,
your NAS will failover automatically to one of the others.

The growth of our company is anticipated to be added users of ~ 10,000 this
year, as we just signed a large contract.  Our ratio of users/available
(concurrent) connections is about 1/15. (this means ~ 660 concurrent
connections, and would have to add a Cisco AS 5400 to the mix to make this
work)

Would FreeRadius provide the robustness, reliability and scalability that we
are looking for?
I have on good authority of FreeRADIUS running far less capacity servers
supporting an order or two larger userbase than what you are describing.

-Chris
--
\\\|||/// \ StarNet Inc. \ Chris Parker
\ ~ ~ / \ WX *is* Wireless! \ Director, Engineering
\ Wholesale Internet Services - http://www.megapop.net