Performance:

I presently run 148 ports on a 400 MHz Solaris system that all runs
a very busy e-mail server.  At that I average about 75% idle cpu
cycles.  I doubt that FR's contribution to the load would be measurable.
I do use MySQL back-end.

Reliability:

No standalone computer achieves 5 9's of reliability on it's own.
I run FR on two servers, and you should too if reliability is
important. IMHO a database backend makes redundant servers a little
easier, but you will get differences of opinion on this.

One great thing about a database backend on FR is that there is
no need to restart the server every time you add a user. With
10K subs I would definitely recommend a DB backend. As to which
one, everbody is different.  I use MySQL, but would use Oracle
if cost was not a factor.  Other's use Postgres, and I think
some even use MSSQL

Tim

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html