After much reading and help from this group, mainly Alan, I was able to
get freeradius-0.8.1 running on a build/test machine to prove it works
(mysql on remote machine).  I was successful in getting it running on
a production server and we migrated all customers to it. YAY!  Now I am
trying to get it running on a second production server and I get no errors
on building, installing, or starting radiusd.  When I run radtest though,
I get this error:

dict_init: Invalid type on line 257 of /etc/raddb/dictionary.ascend

I checked line 257 of that file and it looks identical to the other two
machines'.  The whole file is identical to the other two machines'.
I commented the ascend dictionary out of the dictionary file and I
get a similar error (diff line #) for dictionary.microsoft, and when I
comment that one out, I get a third error but this time in dictionary.
Does anyone recognize what this means -- really means?  The /etc/raddb/*
was copied from the first machine to the other two, and only the third
one does not work.

--
Michael P. Brininstool                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
with the average voter. -- Winston Churchill