Dennis,

Insulting one of the main developers probably won't score you a lot of points or get you much help in this forum. Be that as it may there are an abundance of RADIUS packages out there that have wonderful technical support from the company you BUY IT FROM. How much support do you think you're ENTITLED to from a FREE package? My advice: Buy a product from a company that will help you get it working. J.

Dennis (NNEX Tech. Support) wrote:

Okay, let me spell it out, we're using a national dial-up company for numbers all over the US. This I have stated before. Some of the dial-up servers they are using require PAP authentication, others require CHAP authentication. This I have also stated before. Thus, there are DIAL-UP NUMBERS that are PAP and DIAL-UP NUMBERS that are CHAP.

When we dial into a DIAL-UP NUMBER that has PAP authentication, it authenticates just fine. When we dial into a DIAL-UP NUMBER that has CHAP authentication, we cannot authenticate.

As I asked before, what information do you want/need to help me with this problem??? Do you want to see user files, do you want to see config files, WHAT???

We tried all this with Cistron radius, it wouldn't work. We were told that there is much more information and support for freeRadius. So, we're trying to get freeRadius set up but we're having the same exact problem with freeRadius as with Cistron.

As I can see, we were misinformed as to the amount of support available with freeRadius. The only person answering anything is a sarcastic idiot that is having problems with simple words like "What would help in the diagnosis?"

Alan, if you don't want to help, that's fine. I won't be upset.

Alan DeKok wrote:

"Dennis (NNEX Tech. Support)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I have dialed pap numbers and it authenticates just fine, but every time I dial into chap, it says no password.

<sigh> Please use standard terminology. Using vague and misleading terminology leads only to confusion.

Let's de-construct what you said:

 - there is no such thing as "PAP numbers"
   Your ISP may have configured certain lines to use PAP, but that's a
   local issue, and has nothing to do with "pap numbers".  No one else
   understands what you mean when you say "pap numbers".  It's not a
   phrase anyone uses.

- similarly, you don't "dial into chap"

 - "it" says ...
   I presume you mean FreeRADIUS.  I can't figure out what else it
   could be, but you've taken great care to not mention any real-world
   details, so "it" could be the moon, for all I know.

 - it says "no password".
   If "it" is FreeRADIUS, then no, it doesn't.  It says
   "no User-Password", which is very different.  In fact, one would
    *expect* it to say "no User-Password" when you do CHAP
   authentication, because there honestly IS NO User-Password
   attribute in the packet.

The summary is that you've just wasted my time and yours, because you were unwilling to describe what was going on, and because you were unwilling to run the server in debugging mode and *read* the output, in order to figure out the problem.

  I'll bet money as to what the problem is, but in the tradition of
dribbling out bits and pieces of useless information, I won't say what
it is in this message.