Wow - that should do the trick. I've been working with EAP/SIM for a while, and forgot that other EAP types may want to check the database for a password. SIM doesnt need that, so I'll try the configurable failover. It would be really cool if I can have the failover decision based on the EAP type, but I suspect that may not be possible. As long as we only use SIM that won't be necessary.

Thanks,
Dave

Alan DeKok wrote:

Dave Mason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

For an EAP authentication, the authorize block modcall calls eap_authorize, which returns "updated." However, rlm_sql runs and searches the database for the EAP user, which isnt there. Everything works, but the database hit is unnecessary. Is there something I can do to prevent that?

The database hit is usually necessary, in order to discover what username/password to use. The control flow goes like:

rlm_eap discovers EAP in the request, marks it as "Auth-Type EAP"

 rlm_sql discovers user "bob" has password "bob", and adds the password
 to the config items for the request

 rlm_eap authenticates user "bob", using password "bob", to do
EAP-MD5, etc.

If you don't need the database hit, see 'doc/configurable_failover'. Have the SQL module run only if EAP returns "noop"