From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, January 07, 2004 9:28 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Settings

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote on 01/06/2004 04:48:36
PM:

> Max_request setting in "radius.conf" is supposed to be the maximum
number of
> requests which the server keeps track of. It is supposed to be 4 *
number of
> clients.
>
> In this situation what is a client:
>
> (1) is it number of NAS being serviced by the RADIUS server -or-

*ding*

> (2) is it number of dial-in customers -or-

No.  That wouldn't make any sense; the only time a connection to the
radius server is made (in _general_; not absolutely true) is when a user
connects or disconnects.  The connection to the radius server is NOT held
open.

So using that guideline above, let's say you have 10 NASes, and set max
requests to 40.  That means that one nas can handle 40 simultaneous
requests, or all ten can handle four requests each, or one can have 39,
one 1, and the rest none, or any combination thereof.

The more important (and therefore more intelligent) question is how many
people do you expect to be dialing in at the same time?  Not connected, I
mean actually either dialing the phone, or trying to authenticate to a
wireless access point, or authenticate to a router, or whatever you're
planning on using RADIUS for.  THAT'S when max connections is important.

> (3) is it number of dial-in ports which are serviced by a RADIUS server?

That would make even less sense.

> The RADIUS book by O'Rielly describes client as in Client/Server
> relationship.

It doesn't describe it as a user/server or port/server relationship?  How
appropriate!

> If that is true, then Clients will be number of NAS on the
> system. That does not make sense because one NAS (3Com TC) may have 10
HiPer
> DSP cards and another may have 14. Therefore the number of maximum
> connections might be quite different.

The only reason that's not making sense is because you're thinking of
RADIUS as a protocol that holds the connection open for the entire
conversation, like telnet.  Throw that idea away.

Vincent Giovannone
Network Infrastructure Group
Information Services Division
Rush University Medical Center