-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Alan
DeKok
Sent: Tuesday, January 27, 2004 8:40 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: 802.1x Dynamic IP: Use rlm_ippol or DHCP? (Dynamic Traffic
Shaping / Firewall)

"George Heeres" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm planning on my access points running in routing mode instead of
> bridged mode which will allow each antenna to have it's own subnet.
> User's will be authenticated via 802.1x with FreeRadius against an LDAP
> data source. Upon authentication, I'll use iptables to setup accounting
> and punch holes in the firewall based on the IP address.

  A firewall isn't really necessary.  The AP already forbids anyone to
use the network until they authenticate.  And once they authenticate,
it shouldn't matter which IP they get.

> For simplicity, I'm just using the users file to get things working
> and tested without worrying about incorrect LDAP queries, parameters,
> etc.

  That's the best approach.

> I have the 802.1x authentication working, however I'm stuck trying
> to determine how to handle the IP address allocation. Two options that
> I am aware of include: DHCP server or internally managed IP Pools with
> FreeRadius.

  I think your only option is DHCP.  The AP won't use any IP sent to
it by FreeRADIUS.

> The problem I'm having is during a DHCP request I don't know much
> about the request except for a MAC address. Since all the
> authentication has already taken place via FreeRadius... I don't
> have any of the necessary information to dynamically setup the
> iptables firewall / traffic shaping? Who is this person? What speed
> should they be?, etc.?

  You'll have to find a way to make the firewall communicate with
FreeRADIUS (or the otehr way around).  Maybe an external script, to
send the firewall the MAC address & user information...

> Is it possible to use the ippool module with EAP?

  It's not possible to assign IP addresses via EAP.

> Before I hurt myself and code the DHCP extensions, does anyone know
> what I might be doing wrong with the rlm_ippool module and / or user
> settings. Or is there some other alternative that I haven't considered?
> If I can avoid having to dust off the C programming manual, that would
> be great.

  Shell scripts.  FreeRADIUS knows who the user is, and may also know
the MAC address.  So use a shell script in FreeRADIUS to send that
information to the firewall.

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html