From: Chris Parker [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, January 29, 2004 1:13 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Radreply Implementation Question

At 11:40 AM 1/29/2004, Deramus, Chris wrote:
>To all,
>
>I currently use radreply to send numerous values to a Cisco 3030 VPN
>Device. These attributes are mainly sent based on username MySQL queries
>(Framed IP Addresses, DNS/WINS Entries, Domain Search Suffixes, etc.). I
>now would like use a new Cisco AV Pair CVPN3000-IPSec-IP-Compression. This
>AV Pair already has an entry in the dictionary.cisco.vpn3000 file;
>however, I am trying to think of the best way to implement its features.
>Setting this value to one turns LZS compression on which greatly benefits
>dial-up users; however, it slows down broadband users (per Cisco's
>documentation). Using LZS compression for all users across the board has
>also been known to saturate the device at a much faster pace.
>
>I was trying to implement some logic based on either connection speed,
>Framed-Protocol, etc. that would be able to decipher if a user was coming
>in with a connection less than 128k. If so, then FreeRADIUS would send the
>Concentrator the particular reply with a value of 1. I was curious if
>anyone had any suggestions on the best approach to take?

You can use as a determining factor any attribute which is present in the Access-Request.  With the wide variety of operators ( to include Regexp string expressions ) it shouldn't be too hard to determine whether it's a Dial or Broadband connection.

Alternatively, you could allow users to indicate through some method ( optional realm? ) whether they want compression.  IE:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]  get's LZS assigned
user       get's no compression

Then just strip the realm, or use 'Stripped-User-Name' for your password lookups.

-Chris
--
    \\\|||///  \          StarNet Inc.      \         Chris Parker
    \ ~   ~ /   \       WX *is* Wireless!    \   Director, Engineering
                   \ Wholesale Internet Services - http://www.megapop.net

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html