Hi All,

I have been reading through the documentation, and I am having a little
problem connecting some of the how-to's about FreeRadius 0.93. We have a
FreeRadius 0.4 that I inherited and I am reading the Radius O'Reilly
book, but still missing something.

Problem. I don't understand how 'authentication' gets passed through
radiusd.conf and onto SQL config. We tried a cart-blanc upgrade to 0.93
but the 0.4 configs did not work, it complained about SQL not being an
authentication type.

--- This is my v.04 config ----------------------------

# Authorization. First preprocess (hints and huntgroups files),
# then realms, and finally look in the "users" file.
# The order of the realm modules will determine the order that
# we try to find a matching realm.
# Make *sure* that 'preprocess' comes before any realm if you
# need to setup hints for the remote radius server
authorize {
        preprocess
#       counter
#       attr_filter
#       eap
        suffix
#       files
#       mschap
        sql
}

# Authentication.
#
# This section lists which modules are available for authentication.
# Note that it does NOT mean 'try each module in order'.  It means
# that you have to have a module from the 'authorize' section add
# a configuration attribute 'Auth-Type := FOO'.  That authentication
type
# is then used to pick the apropriate module from the list below.
authenticate {
#       pam
#       unix
# By grouping modules together in an authtype block, that authtype will
be
# tried on each module in sequence until one returns REJECT or OK. This
# allows authentication failover if the first SQL server has crashed,
for
# example.
        authtype SQL {
                sql
#               sql2
        }
#       ldap

I have the following two commands in my Cisco router.

aaa authentication ppp default group radius
aaa authorization network default if-authenticated

Which I plan on changing to

// I want to pick up attributes and I know everyone recommends this.

aaa authentication ppp if-needed default group radius
aaa authorization network default group radius

However when I used 0.93 it would no longer "authenticate" MySql.
Reading around I think I am misunderstanding how FreeRadius uses
Authentication, versus Authorization.

When cisco sends a packet it sends an Authentication, and then it sends
and authorization. But where does free radius answer this. I want to
authenticate with SQL using Chap.

If there is a document explaining it I would be appreciative, or if
someone can explain it to me likewise, I would be appreciative, and I
will create a document to add it to the set to explain it to others.

All the best,

Regards:jamie

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html