I encountered a situation where my primary radius server started logging a bunch of messages of the form:

Wed Mar 17 09:36:04 2004 : Error: WARNING: Unresponsive child (id 137058304) for request 712781

Shorly after that the messages changed to:

Wed Mar 17 09:40:26 2004 : Info: The maximum number of threads (100) are active, cannot spawn new thread to handle request

However the NASs didn't switch to the backup radius server which was operating properly. We are trying to figure out why they didn't switch. When the radius server goes into either of those modes, what is it returning for the authentication response? I would guess from the message text its not returning anything but that should have caused the NAS to switch to the secondary radius server. Could it possibly have been returning an authentication failure?

FreeRADIUS Version 0.9.3