On Fri, Apr 16, 2004 at 09:11:17AM -0700, Bob Ross wrote:
> We already do PAP (Shadow files). Have never done CHAP.
>
> We just started with a wholesale provider. They only send in CHAP. Radius
> will not do CHAP with the system files because they MUST be in clear text
> for the authentication.
>
> Everyone told me to use a mySQL database to store the user names and
> password and then switch to freeRadius because it handles this much better
> than Cistron would. If I put every user information in the radius user file
> it would choke radius if there were several thousand names in there.
>
> But if I make a change to the system files, the database would not be
> updated. If I make a change to the database the systems files are not
> updated.
>
> I don't know how to explain this any other way.

  I understand what you're looking to do, and why.  I don't
know of any tool that does what you want, but ones may exist.
You need a front-end tool that will make modifications in both
databases (MySQL and the system "databases"), so that you only
need execute one command.  My suggestion is to write such a
tool, or hire someone to.

  I do independant consulting, and would be happy to talk to
you off-list if you would like to contract someone to do this
work for you.

  Again, I don't know of a tool that does this already, but
with the popularity of MySQL, it's possible a tool already exists.
Try googling for one.

                             - Chris

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html