RedHat 9 and Fedora Core both use NPTL threading.  I've never seen any
problems like this, and I use FC1 as my production RADIUS server OS.
The only exec-program stuff I've used is the ntlm_auth portion of the
mschap module, and I've never had any problems with it.  Perhaps it is
even Debian-unstable specific?  Or perhaps kernel 2.6 specific?

--Mike

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html