> thoughts/comments as to advantages/disadvantages of enabling/disabling shared
> libs?

I'm probably not the best here to answer that, but my first guess would
be with security issues. If openssl is updated by your package
management system because of a security hole or anything, you will have
to recompile freeradius against it to be safe. The second one would the
code size: if you have another piece of software using openssl, for
example apache, openssl will be loaded twice into memory. That's the two
main ones I can think of, but hey, if that's the only way to make
freeradius work for you, it might be worth it :-)

--
Alain Perry