In short, yes you need a clear text password at the server end.

You have two choices:
a) store your passwords in your ldap database in clear test
b) use a reversible encryption algorithm to store your passwords, and
modify the rlm_ldap code to decrypt the user password as it pulls it out
of ldap.

Regards,
Michael

-