Joe Meslovich wrote:

I just wanted to add some information to this message. I turned on EAPOL
file tracing in the registery. When I look at the trace log that is
created on the client and error is occuring when the client should be
generating the response that contains its credentials. The error code in
the EAPOL log  is -2146893802. From what I've seen that error code has to
do with not finding a keyset pair.

When doing machine authentication do the certificates need to be installed in a special manner? When I go into mmc I see the certificates that I installed in the local computer store.

Joe Meslovich

Joe,

The advice given by others on using this document : http://www.impossiblereflex.com/8021x/eap-tls-HOWTO.htm

is good advice. I've made machine certificates with a private CA and bone stock OpenSSL 0.9.7d - I got the same error until I made sure that the certificate contained the oid given in that write up.

If you look at the certificate with mmc and it is created correctly it should have just the one possible 'usage' - "Proves your identity to a remote computer".

HTH,
Craig