> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> Using FreeRadius v1.0.0-pre3 with MySQL v4.0.16.
>>
>> Given the password is stored in clear text, is there a way to
>> authenticate both PAP or CHAP against the same password?
>
> According to me, that's what it does by default.
> Check that the modules are enabled in radiusd.conf
>
> Here's something I find rather strange:
> In postgresql.conf you can change the authenticate_query:
>         authenticate_query = "SELECT Value,Attribute FROM
> ${authcheck_table}
> \
>                 WHERE UserName = '%{User-Name}' AND ( Attribute =
> 'User-Password' OR Attribute = 'Crypt-Password' ) \
>                 ORDER BY Attribute DESC"
> In sql.conf I can't find such configuration item.

Both PAP and CHAP modules are enabled in radiusd.conf.  And you're right,
there is no authenticate_query in sql.conf.

Being in clear text, when authentication by CHAP is requested, it's fine.
But when PAP is requested against the same password, I get:

rlm_chap: Attribute "CHAP-Password" is required for authentication. Cannot
use "User-Password".