Hi Trevor:
why are you trying to use the attr_rewrite stuff for
proxying.
The simpler approach is to use the proxy.conf
and
use the 'strip' option
for e.g.
realm mydomain.net {
        type            = radius
        authhost        = anotherserver.mydomain.net
        accthost        = anotherserver.mydomain.net
        strip
}

this should just work fine!!

hope it helps.