You should *not* be using with_ntdomain_hack in the preprocess module.
If you're not, and you're still having problems, either use the
"nostrip" option in your realm configuration or don't use realms and use
the hints file to create the Stripped-User-Name attribute.  This way,
the original User-Name isn't changed, but (with the hints file), you
have a stripped username that you can do your lookups with.  Based on
what I think you're trying to do, not using LOCAL realms and doing the
hints file processing is really what you want.

--Mike

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html