On Thu, 2004-10-14 at 11:49, Yyc wrote:
> which is more effective, DB and file access?
>
> anybody have used ?

I find a db is much nicer, if you have a lot of records and want to
access them over a long period of time.

If we need to find out what dates/times a user was on it's a simple
select statement on a db, we have even got web interfaces so none
technical staff can look at this info.

Also it makes running stats reports (users who are online for more than
10 hours a day) quite simple to do, as you can get the db to do most of
the leg work for you.

I am a personal fan of the db accounting, although I would recommend you
use a db which has a good speed and method of constant updates and
insertions... I think MySQL still suffers from table locking? I use
postgres for my accounting db.

--
-----
Graeme Hinchliffe (BSc)