"Also sprach David Luyens:"
> Could you share your config with us?

Here is radiusd.conf. I have stripped every line that begins with " *#",
and every empty line.

prefix = /usr/home/ptb
exec_prefix = ${prefix}
sysconfdir = ${prefix}/etc
localstatedir = ${prefix}/var
sbindir = ${exec_prefix}/sbin
logdir = ${localstatedir}/log/radius
raddbdir = ${sysconfdir}/raddb
radacctdir = ${logdir}/radacct
confdir = ${raddbdir}
run_dir = ${localstatedir}/run/radiusd
log_file = ${logdir}/radius.log
libdir = ${exec_prefix}/lib
pidfile = ${run_dir}/radiusd.pid
max_request_time = 30
delete_blocked_requests = no
cleanup_delay = 5
max_requests = 1024
bind_address = *
port = 1812
hostname_lookups = no
allow_core_dumps = no
regular_expressions     = yes
extended_expressions    = yes
log_stripped_names = no
log_auth = yes
log_auth_badpass = yes
log_auth_goodpass = yes
usercollide = no
lower_user = no
lower_pass = no
nospace_user = yes
nospace_pass = yes
checkrad = ${sbindir}/checkrad
security {
        max_attributes = 200
        reject_delay = 1
        status_server = no
}
proxy_requests  = yes
$INCLUDE  ${confdir}/proxy.conf
$INCLUDE  ${confdir}/clients.conf
snmp    = no
$INCLUDE  ${confdir}/snmp.conf
thread pool {
        start_servers = 5
        max_servers = 32
        min_spare_servers = 3
        max_spare_servers = 10
        max_requests_per_server = 0
}
modules {
        pap {
                encryption_scheme = crypt
        }
        chap {
                authtype = CHAP
        }
        pam {
                pam_auth = radiusd
        }
        unix {
                cache = no
                cache_reload = 60
                        passwd = /etc/passwd
                        group = /etc/group
        }
$INCLUDE ${confdir}/eap.conf
        mschap {
                authtype = MS-CHAP

                use_mppe = no
                with_ntdomain_hack = no
        }
        ldap {
                server = "ldap.your.domain"
                basedn = "o=My Org,c=UA"
                filter = "(uid=%{Stripped-User-Name:-%{User-Name}})"
                start_tls = no
                access_attr = "dialupAccess"
                dictionary_mapping = ${raddbdir}/ldap.attrmap
                ldap_connections_number = 5
                timeout = 4
                timelimit = 3
                net_timeout = 1
        }
        realm IPASS {
                format = prefix
                delimiter = "/"
                ignore_default = no
                ignore_null = no
        }
        realm suffix {
                format = suffix
                delimiter = "@"
                ignore_default = no
                ignore_null = no
        }
        realm realmpercent {
                format = suffix
                delimiter = "%"
                ignore_default = no
                ignore_null = no
        }
        realm ntdomain {
                format = prefix
                delimiter = "\\"
                ignore_default = no
                ignore_null = no
        }
        checkval {
                item-name = Calling-Station-Id
                check-name = Calling-Station-Id
                data-type = string
        }

        preprocess {
                huntgroups = ${confdir}/huntgroups
                hints = ${confdir}/hints
                with_ascend_hack = no
                ascend_channels_per_line = 23
                with_ntdomain_hack = no
                with_specialix_jetstream_hack = no
                with_cisco_vsa_hack = no
        }
        files {
                usersfile = ${confdir}/users
                acctusersfile = ${confdir}/acct_users
                compat = no
        }
        detail {
                detailfile = ${radacctdir}/%{Client-IP-Address}/detail-%Y%m%d
                detailperm = 0600
        }
        acct_unique {
                key = "User-Name, Acct-Session-Id, NAS-IP-Address,
Client-IP-Address, NAS-Port"
        }
        $INCLUDE  ${confdir}/sql.conf

        radutmp {
                filename = ${logdir}/radutmp
                username = %{User-Name}
                case_sensitive = yes
                check_with_nas = yes
                perm = 0600
                callerid = "yes"
        }
        radutmp sradutmp {
                filename = ${logdir}/sradutmp
                perm = 0644
                callerid = "no"
        }
        attr_filter {
                attrsfile = ${confdir}/attrs
        }
        counter daily {
                filename = ${raddbdir}/db.daily
                key = User-Name
                count-attribute = Acct-Session-Time
                reset = daily
                counter-name = Daily-Session-Time
                check-name = Max-Daily-Session
                allowed-servicetype = Framed-User
                cache-size = 5000
        }
        always fail {
                rcode = fail
        }
        always reject {
                rcode = reject
        }
        always ok {
                rcode = ok
                simulcount = 0
                mpp = no
        }
        expr {
        }
        digest {
        }
        exec {
                wait = yes
                input_pairs = request
        }
        exec echo {
                wait = yes
                program = "/bin/echo ARAP-Security-Data=%{Login-LAT-Node}"
                input_pairs = request
                output_pairs = reply
                packet_type = Access-Accept
        }
        ippool main_pool {
                range-start = 192.168.1.1
                range-stop = 192.168.3.254
                netmask = 255.255.255.0
                cache-size = 800
                session-db = ${raddbdir}/db.ippool
                ip-index = ${raddbdir}/db.ipindex
                override = no
                maximum-timeout = 0
instantiate {
        exec
        expr
}
authorize {
        preprocess

        chap
        mschap
        suffix
        eap
        files
}
authenticate {
        Auth-Type PAP {
                pap
        }
        Auth-Type CHAP {
                chap
        }
        Auth-Type MS-CHAP {
                mschap
        }
        unix
        eap
}
preacct {
        preprocess
        acct_unique
        suffix
        files
}
accounting {
        detail
        radutmp
}
session {
        radutmp
}
post-auth {
}
pre-proxy {
}
post-proxy {
        eap

My addition to the users file was:

#
# This is an entry for a user with a space in their name.
# Note the double quotes surrounding the name.
#
#"John Doe"     Auth-Type := Local, User-Password == "hello"
#               Reply-Message = "Hello, %u"

"ptb"   Auth-Type := Local, User-Password == "XXXXXX", Login-LAT-Node =~ "^(.+)"
        ARAP-Security-Data = `%{0}`,
        Fall-Through = Yes

#
#
# Dial user back and telnet to the default host for that port
#
#Deg    Auth-Type := Local, User-Password == "ge55ged"
#       Service-Type = Callback-Login-User,
#       Login-IP-Host = 0.0.0.0,
#       Callback-Number = "9,5551212",
#       Login-Service = Telnet,
#       Login-TCP-Port = Telnet

And I had prviously tried:

"ptb"   Auth-Type := Local, User-Password == "XXXXXX", Login-LAT-Node == FOO
        ARAP-Security-Data = FOO,
        Fall-Through = Yes

and other variants.

I had edited client.conf in order to set a fixed secret for localhost
and all the machines I was interested in (using IP addresses). The
additions were all of the pattern:

client 1.2.3.4 {
        secret          = ABCDEFG
        shortname       = localhost
}

(no, I don't know what "shortname" is supposed to be for. I had to add
at least an entry for my machine's IP address and I used the shortname
localhost for that too.  The comments in the file are unclear on the
matter: "The short name is used as an alias for the fully qualified
domain name, or the IP address".  Yes, but OF WHAT?  There is no domain
name in the place where this is given.  Is this the receiving host?  The
sending host?  Which?).

Peter

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html