"Alan DeKok" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Seymour) wrote:
[snip]

>   Hmm... the reason the "hints" thing didn't work is that the regex
> function expects '\' to be escaped, too.  This works for me:
>
> DEFAULT        User-Name =~ "\\\\(.*)$"
>        My-Local-User-Name = "%{1}"

<smacks head>  I should've thought of that!  It's not like I haven't
been working with regexps for about a million years.  That worked!
Thanks :).

Now, if possible, is there a way to persuade FreeRADIUS to try
My-Local-User-Name, if available, Stripped-User-Name it it's not, and
User-Name if Stripped-User-Name is not available?

> > What rather astonishes me is that this either hasn't come up before,
> > tho I have a private email that indicates something like it has, or
> > that nobody's pursued it to the bitter end.  One would almost think
> > that Unix/Linux + Samba + Wireless + WPA + (Free)RADIUS was an unusual
> > combination.
>
>   No, but having the machine name in the User-Name attribute isn't
> common.

It's just plain ol' vanilla MS-WinXP Pro SP1, with updated MS support
for the wireless stuff.  The machine is *not* in a MS-Win2k domain, as
I haven't yet got the servers upgraded to support those.  So the 'doze
PCs are all in plain old MS-Win workgroups for now.  You'd have to ask
Microsoft why 'doze does what it does.  Personally, I've long- since
given up trying to understand such things, and now simply try to find
ways to work around Microsoft's brain-dead designs.

Jim

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html