I resolved this issue.  The problem was that I had not included the
xpextensions when making the certificate.  I got errors when initially
trying to use CA.all and instead of investigating the errors further I
decided to build a CA root and server cert manually, which did not
include the xpextensions.

My configuration is working so well now that I've stop using the -X
option to watch the output.  As usual however, my success has resulted
in additional questions that I'd appreciate some help with.

1) What is an "OID"?  Nice buzz word that I see referenced in numerous
web pages but no definition.  What is the purpose of the data in the
xpextensions file?  Do all CA's use it when signing certificates, or
is this specific to freeradius?

2) I notice now that the certificate validation is working that I no
longer am prompted to enter my username and password.  Even after
rebooting the WinXP computer, the connection to freeradius occurs
automatically.  I suppose this might be convenient in some circles
but it's also a security risk in that if someone were to borrow my
computer they would not be challenged before getting access to the
network.  Does anyone know where WinXP stores this info and if it
can be configured to always prompt for user/pass?

Thanks,
Jon

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html