Henk Kleynhans wrote:
Hi,

We are having an issue where, in some sessions, an Authentication Request is sent successfully (and inserted into RADPOSTAUTH table), but the Accounting Start Query is never run/received.

Subsequently, Accounting Update Queries come through, but fail due to the fact that a relevant RADACCT session has not been inserted to begin with.

It only happens in a small amount of cases, < 1% of sessions, but nonetheless opens us to loss of data that is not being billed for properly.

Is this a known issue? Is there a workaround? We're looking at changing the Acct Update Query to insert a new session if it cannot find an existing one.

Any help will be appreciated.

You should never rely on receiving accounting queries.
They are UDP and easily go missing.
You could even receive duplicates (e.g. two start packets).

What I have done (pseudo code):

if (Start)
{
  Try to insert Session