On 09/29/2009 10:42 AM, paul.blal...@gmail.com wrote:
I appreciate your insight, and I might have to go with a pre-built
package after all. But I did go ahead and issue the commands, and when I
run
chkconfig --list radiusd This is what I get.
radiusd 0:off 1:off 2:on 3:on 4:on 5:on 6:off

According to the links that you sent me, this is what it is supposed to
say, but the radiusd service still does not start at boot time, it still
requires me to log on to the gnome desktop as root before the service
will start.

Logging on the the gnome desktop as root is insanely insecure, never do it. As a matter of fact in current Fedora releases you're prohibited from starting a desktop session as root. Instead you should open a terminal window and then su, or better add yourself to the sudoers list and sudo your commands.

We'll assume you're in the sudoers list. What happens when you issue:

service radiusd status

Is it running, according to you not, just checking though. If it's not starting a boot time with it enabled via chkconfig then it's probably not starting successfully. What happens when you:

sudo service radiusd start

Does it start? If so I can't explain what's going on because that's virtually identical to what should happen at boot time.

Do you have SELinux enabled and in *enforcing* mode?

BTW, I have no idea if the initscript shipped in the FreeRADIUS distribution will work as we provide our own (another reason to use our RPM's). I also know we're going to be reworking the initscript to comply with LSB requirements.

--
John Dennis <jden...@redhat.com>

Looking to carve out IT costs?
www.redhat.com/carveoutcosts/