Alan,

Radius -X is always on, and I went through the clients.conf file. -X gives a
lot information, since you asked here is my understanding. I'm not a
programmer so some of them are cryptic to me. I put in comments to what I
think they are, but they are only guesses. I would be very thankful if you
can shed lights on them.

Also, there is file experimental.conf stated in eap.conf, but did not exist.
It may have some useful information.

r...@crest raddb]# radtest cisco cisco 127.0.0.1 200 testing123
Sending Access-Request of id 187 to 127.0.0.1 port 1812
        User-Name = "cisco"
        User-Password = "cisco"
        NAS-IP-Address = 127.0.0.1
        NAS-Port = 200
rad_recv: Access-Request packet from host 127.0.0.1 port 43663, id=187,
length=57
        User-Name = "cisco"
        User-Password = "cisco"
        NAS-IP-Address = 127.0.0.1
        NAS-Port = 200
+- entering group authorize {...}
++[preprocess] returns ok       ;what is preprocess and what does it do?
++[chap] returns noop   ;I can tell that chap was not selected as a
protocol, right?

++[mschap] returns noop         ;as above
[suffix] No '@' in User-Name = "cisco", looking up realm NULL ;why @ is
expected in a name or password?
[suffix] No such realm "NULL" ;what this mean?
++[suffix] returns noop
[eap] No EAP-Message, not doing EAP ;eap is not auth protocol.
++[eap] returns noop
++[unix] returns notfound       ;what is this?
++[files] returns noop          ?
++[expiration] returns noop     ?
++[logintime] returns noop      ?
[pap] WARNING! No "known good" password found for the user.  Authentication
may fail because of this.       ;I do have a password (cisco).
++[pap] returns noop
No authenticate method (Auth-Type) configuration found for the request:
Rejecting the user              ;this look like authentication protocol is a
must before the process can work, however, eap.conf file is there and eap is
uncommented out with it's arguments. ?
Failed to authenticate the user.
Using Post-Auth-Type Reject
+- entering group REJECT {...}
[attr_filter.access_reject]     expand: %{User-Name} -> cisco
 attr_filter: Matched entry DEFAULT at line 11
++[attr_filter.access_reject] returns updated
Delaying reject of request 5 for 1 seconds
Going to the next request
Waking up in 0.9 seconds.
Sending delayed reject for request 5
Sending Access-Reject of id 187 to 127.0.0.1 port 43663
Waking up in 4.9 seconds.
rad_recv: Access-Reject packet from host 127.0.0.1 port 1812, id=187,
length=20
[r...@crest raddb]# Cleaning up request 5 ID 187 with timestamp +411
Ready to process requests.

Rgrds,