Marc-Andre,

Thanks for the comment.

I am going to try to explain it to the best of my knowledge. Please
bear with me that I don't have deep knowledge of keyboards or
programming for that matter. Also I have no idea for what goes on in
Chinese and Korean keyboards/IME.

> we need to pass an IME file along with a different keyboard type I
> believe.

>From my experience from trying to make the "\|" keycap on JIS Keyboard
work currently in FreeRDP, I don't think you need to pass IME file. You
just need to make sure that xfreerdp wil pass the correct keyboard
layout and the scancodes.

FYI, you can use IME on a US keyboards. Lots of my Japanese-writing
colleagues uses US Keyboards to input Japanese. They don't have any
issues using freerdp since their keyboard layout and scancodes are
correctly sent to the RDP server.

> If you have general information on how those keyboards work, it would help.
> If I understood correctly words are written phonetically and the IME would
> suggest a possible kanji for it, which you can accept with a special key?

We have 2 ways to input Japanese using IME.

Romaji input:

  I believe this is the method used by most users.

   1. The user will turn IME on by sending control sequence.
      # When we want to type in 2-byte chars (ie Japanese), we turn IME
      # on. IME can be toggled on/off by pressing sequence of control
      # keys, ie, for US keyboard, it's "Alt" key and "`" key at the
      # same time. JIS Keyboards have single key for this feature (as
      # highlighted as scancode 29 in (*1))

   (*1)  http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/linux/kbd/jp106.jpg

   2. The user will type in words and phrases phonetically using
      alphabet (a,b,c...) keys.
      # In this method, the Hiragana imprint (mostly) on right bottom on
      # the keycap (*1) is ignored.

   3. The user will hit "space" key to send them to IME and IME will
      suggest kana/hiragana/kanji/2-byte_char combo.

   4. The user will select and accept it by pressing the "enter" key.
      The user may continue to type Japanese or toggle IME off.

Kana input:

  The Kana input use is very rare, in all my 10+ yrs in the IT
  business, I have never seem anyone use this method. I've never used
  it myself.
  The only difference to Romaji input is in step 2. where users will
  type in words looking at the hiragana chars imprinted in the right
  bottom part of the keycaps (*1) instead of phonetically.

> I honestly don't know that much about Japanese and CJK input methods, I
> guess that for Japanese hiraganas and katakanas could be used for typing in
> words phonetically and then replace them with a kanji if necessary.

As stated above, for romaji input, alphabet (a,b,c,...) will be used to
type in words and phrases phonetically and they are replaced by
kana/hiranaga/kanji/2-byte char combo with IME. Same goes for kana
input expect hiranaga keys are used.

> Feel free to correct me on my ignorance, that's the main reason why we don't
> support those properly

I hope this helps a bit. Please let me know if I am being unclear

Regards,
 Seiji T.