It was not done intentionally, I believe it is much too early to start
dropping Gtk2 support. Vic had originally modified Remmina to depend on
Gtk3, but we had dual Gtk2/Gtk3 support brought back in before the Remmina
1.0 release.

I understand Gtk2 support may not look like a big deal if you're the type
of guy that runs the latest versions of distributions, but it's a real
issue for all less-frequently updated systems. It's not because Ubuntu
12.04 LTS is out that the enterprise will instantly migrate to it, and that
everybody is using a distribution with a stable release including Gtk3
support.

For instance, ThinPro is a debian-based distribution used for HP thin
clients, and people are manually building Remmina for it. Dropping Gtk2
support would mean dropping support for all of these cases which may not
have been thought of.

I would like to stress the fact that preserving Gtk2 support is still very
important, until we discuss it otherwise much further in the future.