I should have mentioned as a double check that you can type the following:

        rpm -qa | grep gsl

to see if any 'rpm' (the package management system) files installed on your
system match the gsl. Probably you won't find anything.

The easiest way to install software for a RedHat system is to use 'rpm' files.
I have added 'rpm' files for the gsl libraries to the Martinos Center's "File
Drop" application. This app will send you an automatic email with
instructions how to download these files (you should have received the
notification by now). Follow the instructions you've received and download
the files (there are two - gsl-devel-1.5-1.i386.rpm and gsl-1.5-1.i386.rpm)
to your local box.

OK - for the following, I'm assuming that you have root access to your local
machine.

Change to the root user:

        su -

(and enter the root password).

Change to the directory where you downloaded the gsl rpm files. Say you
downloaded them to /tmp:

        cd /tmp

Now install them with

        rpm -Uhv *.rpm

and you'll see a short report as each rpm is installed.

You should be all set now.

Good luck,

-=R

--
Rudolph Pienaar, M.Eng, D.Eng / email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
MGH/MIT/HMS Athinoula A. Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging