Dear Lars, Pedro and all,

There should be no problem in using different thresholds for each of these pairwise comparisons.

Let's consider the following extreme case: Suppose in one of these comparisons you have a strong effect (say, "activation") that comprises large brain regions. Suppose that for the 5 other comparisons, there is no effect at all. If you pool all your six comparisons to calculate a single threshold for all of them, due to the adaptiveness of the Benjamini & Hochberg procedure, the calculated threshold will be such that it will produce more liberal results (i.e. higher p-threshold) for the 5 comparisons where there is no experimental effect, than would be obtained by not pooling, implying that some vertices where the null is true will be (falsely) declared as positive for these comparisons. On the other hand, the vertices where there is no effect will also give their contribution to compute this threshold, but their influence will be in the opposite direction, producing more conservative results (i.e. lower p-threshold) for the comparison where "activation" is present, than would be without pooling, resulting in "active" vertices remaining not detected (false negatives).

Both are clearly undesirable, as the amount of errors (both type I and II) is increased by bleeding the effect/absence of effect from one comparison into another.

In other words, when including in the same analysis different sets of comparisons (which possibly includes different experimental hypotheses, which definitely would preclude pooling), one will be losing one of the nicest features of the B&H procedure: the weak control of FWE (i.e. when the null is true everywhere, you are controlling FWE, even using an FDR procedure) for each comparison if the null for any of these comparisons is true everywhere.

This also means that, although FDR would still be controlled globally, one cannot make inferences about each comparison individually, which I believe was the whole point of making the comparisons initially.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

Anderson

Lars M. Rimol wrote:
Well, I believe there is a problem in principle here. FDR deals with multiple comparisons across the surface (or brain volume), but how do you deal with a series of such analyses? Of course, if you use a different method of correction you avoid this problem but that's not the point.

LMR