hi mike,

In theory it could, as we use Nibabel for i/o and they support Gifti.
> However, I have no data in Gifti format at the moment to work with, so
> at the moment I would say we are Freesurfer specific.

freesurfer does support giftis.

mris_convert --combinesurfs fsaverage/surf/lh.inflated
fsaverage/surf/rh.inflated test.gii

mris_convert fsaverage/surf/lh.inflated ./lh.test2.gii

would be awesome to be able to have gifti support and direct nifti overlay
with a bbreg.dat registration or identity instead of having to create an
overlay file.

cheers,

satra