Michael,

I had a similar problem with about 10% of pediatric datasets I used.
In my case the problem also often included anterior and ventral
surface of the frontal lobes. Much like you I looked at possible
explanations and a medical physicist and a radiologist I worked with
blamed inaccuracies entirely on chemical shift. Adding control points
at least in temporal lobes generally provided only moderate
improvements.

Greetings,

Jacek