Hi all,
I'm posting a follow-up to my thread from November regarding "anterior
temporal lobe problems", so that it can be captured in the FS archives.

Based on a suggestion from Bruce, we tried re-running (from scratch)
using the -mprage flag in recon-all (since ours were MPRAGE
acquisitions) as well as "-b 20 -n 5" as expert options for the
mri_normalize command.

These changes substantially improved the quality of the white (and
thence pial) surfaces in many of the subjects of our pediatric brain
sample!  Many subjects went from having moderate problems in the
surfaces at the very tip of the temporal lobe to having no problems
there, and other subjects went from having major surface errors
throughout the anterior and inferior temporal lobe to more minor,
isolated problems.

I did a very minimal investigation regarding the independent impact of
the -mprage, -b 20, and -n 5 contributions to the improvement (i.e., in
just one subject) and found that (in that one particular subject) the "-
b 20" inclusion as an expert option for mri_normalize was sufficient to
account for almost all the improvement.  However, the -mprage flag by
itself also yielded substantial improvement.  The "-n 5" inclusion as an
expert option didn't, by itself, yield any improvement.

Hope that helps.  If you have problems with your surfaces in the
anterior/inferior temporal lobe, you might want to try these
modifications.  And please post what you learn back to the list as to
whether they were helpful in your particular case.

cheers,
-MH