Hi Peter - The format for the bvec and bval files is explained in:
        $FREESURFER_HOME/bin/dmrirc.example

If you've structured your dmrirc following this example file and you're
still getting this error, please send the following so I can debug this:
        - your exact trac-all command line
        - your dmrirc file
        - your trac-all.log
        - the actual bvecs and bvals files that you specify in your dmrirc

Thanks,
a.y