Hi Jeff,
make_average_subject is just if you want to visualize results on a
surface presenting the average of your own subjects, rather than using
the provided 'fsaverage'.  It is not necessary (and not related) to
performing group statistical comparisons per se.

You can use the 'qdec' utility to do compute maps of groupwise
statisical differences on the surface, after first running recon-all
with the -qcache flag.

cheers,
-MH