I think I just found the answer to my question on the wiki:

More specifically, the CorticalWhiteMatter measurement is calculated by
determining which voxels are within the WM surface.

So the term "cortical" does not mean that deep structures are left out, it is
referring to how the measurement is done.

I must say, I do miss having a whole brain volume calculation already done for
me--I wish that had not been removed in the new version!

Thanks,
Dana