you need to call mris_make_surfaces directly. It's a bit complicated as you need to intensity normalize and register the hires volume to the surfaces first. I have an example script if anyone is interested, but no one has used it yet but me I don't think (unless Matt Glasser has gotten his version working, which on second thought he probably has)