> And there is nothing in /Applications/freesurfer/bin?

There are 357 items in /Applications/freesurfer/bin

> Are there any files in the other directories?

Indeed, from /Application/freesurfer/average (50 items in here) to /
Applications/freesurfer/trctrain (35 items) as well as 'LICENSE' file,
'README' file, etc. Not to forget my user license file (i.e. .license)

The executable files missing in /Applications/freesurfer/bin seem to be:

talairach_avi
  ;mri_watershed
  ; ;mri_segment
  ;mri_tessellate
  ;mri_concatenate_lta ;mri_normalize_tp2 ;mris_smooth ;mris_inflate
;mris_curvature
  ;mris_sphere
  ;mris_fix_topology
  ;mris_topo_fixer
  ;mris_ca_label
  ;mris_euler_number
  ;mris_make_surfaces
  ;mris_register
  ;mris_volmask
   ;mris_anatomical_stats
  ;mrisp_paint
  ;mris_curvature_stats
  ;mris_calc ;mri_robust_register ;mri_robust_template ;mri_segstats

Also, running grep -f /CommandsNotFound.txt (file listing the commands
listed above) /Files_in_Bin.txt (list of 357 items in /Applications/
freesurfer/bin folder) retrieves no matching pattern.

The list of commands above matches the list of warning errors (i.e.
command not found) when I run recon-all.

> Do you have permission to install it in that location?

I do.

Could this be related to compillation of files for the May 2011 5.1.
stable release for ppc?

Appreciate your advice and support as I understand ppc machines might
not be one of the highest priorities...

Regards,

Fidel