I see,
Usually people look at thickness maps and volume on an ROI basis. Volume on the
surface I think is simply area times thickness. Not sure how meaningful that is
as area of a vertex depends on the triangle mesh.

Anyway, you look at smoothed maps on fsaverage. The average volume for each
vertex should be somewhere in the middle of the individual values across time
after they have been resampled to fsaverage. You can find the mapped files in
the base directories. Can you double check that the average is in the middle of
the time points?
Best Martin

--
Sent from my phone, please excuse brevity.