The "annotation" is the name we give to a surface segmentation (eg,
lh.aparc.annot). You can break lh.aparc.annot into its constituent label
files. You can then replace the insula label file with posterior and
anterior labels that you create. You can then recombine the labels back
into a new annotation. Once you have the new annotation, you can run
mri_aparc2aseg to map the annotation into the volume. This method will
do better at filling in the cortical ribbon than mri_surf2vol or
mri_label2vol.

doug

--
Douglas N. Greve, Ph.D.