Thanks Zeke. I tried upgrading to the latest FS version, 5.2.0, but I see
that the available download
<ftp://surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/pub/dist/freesurfer/5.2.0/freesurfer-Linux-centos4-stable-pub-v5.2.0.tar.gz>is
only in .tar.fz format rather than in .VDI format, as
v5.1.0<ftp://surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/pub/dist/freesurfer/5.1.0/freesurfer-Virtualbox-linux-x86-stable-pub-v5.1.0-full.vdi>was
(and the .TAR archive does not contain a .VDI file inside it).
Virtualbox seems to only accept the VDI format. Apologies if there's
something obvious here that I"m not seeing..

And yes, it's true that I eventually did get mri_concat to work in QDEC,
however that was only after repeatedly trying the same thing, I hadn't
really changed anything. My guess is that, when I used to get that error
from QDEC/mri_concat in the past, it was another case of mri_concat not
responding to the command line. This could be, as Doug says, a problem with
my Virtualbox, but unfortunately I don't know what else to do with it, and
I've been wanting to complete this analysis for weeks now... :(