I actually just tried to test the talairach.lta with this command:

tkregister2 --mov $FREESURFER_HOME/average/RB_all_2008-03-26.gca \
  --targ ../brainmask.mgz --lta-inv talairach.lta --reg
talairach.lta.reg.dat \
  --surfs --s $subject

I seem to be getting an error that "--lta-inv is not an option". Is
there another way to check talairach.lta?