Hi Ella,

There are a number of options:
You can draw manual segmentations on individual subjects, though the time and
cost required for this labor-intensive process of manual tracing has become
prohibitive.

Paul's suggestion would be a better one, maybe one of our protocols described
in e.g. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21733239 could be of use to you? In
case of drawing on the fsaverage, I would add the suggestion to draw at least
two times to see if you're segmentation is reliable (compare your two (or more)
ROIs and check for overlap and non-overlapping parts, for non-overlap decide
whether those voxels should be in- or excluded). Subsequently, you map your
segmentation to individual subjects and check for correct registration.

Another approach would be to use the ROI from the Wake Forest University
PickAtlas. You can map this to FS-space, and follow similar procedures to map
to native space. Though I must note that this ROI is not perfect.

All depends on your research question of course, how detailed do you want your
ROI to be.

Best of luck,
Cédric

  P.C.M.P. Koolschijn (Cédric), PhD