Dear Bruce,

Thanks for the quick reply! I think it might be possible that we used an
unrelased or developmental version of FreeSurfer, because the building-stamp
said: freesurfer-Linux-centos5_86_64_dev-20110315. I'm not sure how this
version ended up onto the server I was working on. Do you think this is a
problem?

With respect to the error: you were right, it was longer. I copied the command
line below:

$ mris_anatomical_stats -mgz -cortex label/lh.cortex.label -f
stats/lh.aparc.pial.stats -b -a label/lh.aparc.annot -c label/aparc.annot.ctab
0007 lh pial
INFO: assuming MGZ format for volumes.
INFO: using label/lh.cortex.label as mask to calc cortex NumVert, SurfArea and
MeanThickness.
computing statistics for each annotation in label/lh.aparc.annot.
reading volume
/data2/projects/ysbrand-vumc/pddatabase-freesurfer/niels_test//0007/mri/wm.mgz...
znzTAGskip: tag=825050957, failed to calloc 1969843200 bytes!

I then loaded wm.mgh into matlab and then saved it as you suggested and ran the
command again to calculate SA of the pial surface, but it produces the exact
same error...

>> load.mgh wm.mgz;

>> save.mgh wm.mgz;

Am I doing anything wrong?