Hi Doug and Bruce,
After running the command :
dt_recon --i 6-1025.dcm --s M87102113 --o dti dt_recon --i f.nii --b f.bvals
f.bvecs --s M87102113 --o dti                  <<< source:   Freesurfer wiki>>>

I need to generate the final statistics ( FA for every parcellate and segment
in aseg and wmparc atlases) using the command "mri_segstats"

In order to do so I need to move "fa.nii" to anatomical space using the command:

mri_vol2vol -mov fa.nii -lta register.lta -fstarg -o fa.anat.mgh
  <<< source:   Freesurfer wiki>>>

My questions are about the file "register.lta" :

1.       What is the difference between this file and the file "register.dat" (
which I can see it as an output of  the command " bbregister" in the final
analysis using the command "dt_recon")

2.       How can I generate the file " register.lta"?

3.       Can I feed the file " register.dat" instead of the file "
register.lta" into the command "mri_vol2vol "  (in order to move the ''fa.nii"
to anatomical space). If so which flag I should use instead of the flag "--lta"
in the command mri_vol2vol?

Many thanks
Mohamad