Doug, I see now what your concern was with just adjusting the beta weights.
Since FSFAST is using a pseudo-mixed effects model, there is also a need to
pass the cesvar statistics up to the second level.  How that might accommodate
the derivative boost computation is not straightforward to me.  I need to
understand better what fsfast is doing.  I was wondering if you could answer a
couple questions about how cesvar is computed;

1) The cesvar computations in the fast_fratio.m function provided a good guide.
 According to it:
cescvm = inv(C*inv(X'*X)*X'*Sn*X*inv(X'*X)*C’);
where Sn is the covariance matrix of the noise after the whitening (which is on
by default).
cesvar=rvar./cescvm.

How is Sn computed?

2) I need to understand what fsfast is doing conceptually but I couldn’t
reconcile the Thirion et al (2007) Equation #5 and the equations above,
specifically the inclusion of the rvar term.  Can you throw some light on this?

I greatly appreciate your helpful tips and this amazing software that you have
written.

Respectfully,

Joe

E-mail: jdie...@mac.com