Hi Sabrina,

Usually we don't add voxels in the brainmask. We usually add to the wm.mgz which pushes the white surf out and ultimately the pial surf out (because it grows from the white). If the area around the stroke on both sides looks good but there is a hole in the middle where there is no information or labels, then the surfaces will not connect all the way around it. They treat it like two separate pieces. Does this make sense? I'll try to play around with some different things (like adding to the wm.mgz) and see if I can get the surfaces to be continuous around this region.

Like Bruce said, it might end up being that the brain is too different from what freesurfer assumes a brain to look like, but I will try some work arounds and get back to you.

Thank you,
Ani