Hi Anastasia!

That makes sense, thank you!  So the question is how do I evaluate the
noisiness of a path?

1) Most of my isosurfaces look a lot noisier than your example on the wiki.
There's obviously no hard and fast rule here but is there any way to gauge
the noisiness of a reconstructed path? And can that information be used for
quality control?

2) Another source of information on outliers is the log files that are
produced when running -trac-all -stat (based on the shape of the tract). It
doesn't seem to flag tracts that are (almost) completely missing (which are
spotted by visual inspection in Freeview) - but they may fall under the
minimum threshold and therefore not be evaluated?  Would you recommend
automatically excluding the subjects that are flagged as outliers here?

>Hi Lars - A path with fewer control points will generally be smoother. So

>if the tract is pretty much a straight line, you might get a noisier
>result if you increase the number of control points. But if the tract is
>more convoluted than a straight line, then you need more control points to
>define it accurately. So it's hard to predict the result of increasing the
>control points in general, it depends on the specific case.

>BTW, if you change the number of control points, you don't need to use the
>reinit variable - that's only for rerunning with the same control points
>as before.
>
>Best,
>a.y

sincerely yours,

Lars M. Rimol, PhD
Senior researcher,
Norwegian Advisory Unit for functional MRI
Department of Radiology,
St. Olav's University hospital,
7006 Trondheim,
Norway