Dear Bruce,
I am using bash shell. Please see the further details below.

pc@RB:~$ echo $0
bash
pc@RB:~$ echo $SHELL
/bin/bash
pc@RB:~$ ps -p "$$"
  PID TTY          TIME CMD
 3706 pts/1    00:00:00 bash

List of fails in the freesurfer folder;

/usr/local/freesurfer/average
/usr/local/freesurfer/fsafd
/usr/local/freesurfer/fsfast
/usr/local/freesurfer/lib
/usr/local/freesurfer/sessions
/usr/local/freesurfer/tktools
/usr/local/freesurfer/trctrain
/usr/local/freesurfer/DefectLUT.txt
/usr/local/freesurfer/FreeSurferColorLUT.txt
/usr/local/freesurfer/FreeSurferEnv.csh
/usr/local/freesurfer/LICENSE
/usr/local/freesurfer/SetUpFreeSurfer.csh
/usr/local/freesurfer/sources.csh
/usr/local/freesurfer/sources.sh
/usr/local/freesurfer/tkmeditParcColorsCMA
/usr/local/freesurfer/VERSION
/usr/local/freesurfer/WMParcStatsLUT.txt

You can notice that there is no SetUpFreeSurfer.sh files.

Details about my pc;

Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, 64 bit is installed. Running w8.1 via virtual box.
Memory - 16GB ram
Processor- Intel® Core™ i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz × 8
Graphics - GeForce GT 610/PCIe/SSE2

Thanks