Dear Doug,

We are trying to compute partial volume correction in DWI images, using
your PEtsurf approach, to correct CSF contamination. Afterwards, we will
compute whatever DTI metric from the corrected data and project it to
surface.

As you suggested in your previous post (https://www.mail-archive.com/
freesurfer@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/msg52436.html), we used the psf=0, so the
algorithm will just perform TFE.

However, we have some concerns. When we perform this correction in
symptomatic subjects (e.g AD patients), we have seen that in certain
regions (mainly non atrophied areas), the PVC effect is overestimated. If I
am not wrong, the WM coefficient obtained from the SGTM takes into account
ALL the superficial WM, and thus, will take intro account both atrophied
and non atrophied regions. This is important because, unlike PET, the
superficial WM diffusion, resembles the GM diffusion and it would be
interesting to treat them as one compartment. Therefore, my question is if
there is any option in mri_gtmpvc to use a 3-compartiment model (WM+GM,
CSF, SKULL) instead of the default 4-compartment.

Once we have the PVC volume, we project our DTI metric to surface using
mri_vol2surf with proj-fract 0.5. However, since we used a GM thr of 30%
(as in your NI paper), there are several regions with no signal (i.e 0 in
the native surface). How do you solve this issue? Smooth of the data?
Exclude those vertices from further analysis?

Thank you in advance for your help!!
Regards,

Victor M