From: freesurfer-boun...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
<freesurfer-boun...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu> on behalf of Douglas Greve
<dgr...@mgh.harvard.edu>
Sent: Friday, July 20, 2018 9:23:58 AM
To: freesurfer@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Subject: Re: [Freesurfer] fcseedcor -- pca output for vcsf.dat and wm.dat

Hi Hamdi, sorry for the delay. Answers below.

On 6/26/18 2:50 PM, Eryilmaz, H. Hamdi wrote:
Hi Doug and Freesurfers,

I am using fcseedcor to compute the correlation between two time courses for
each subject in my group. The command that I run is as follows:

fcseedcor -s $subject -fsd resting -seed seed1.dat -seed seed2.dat -xreg
global.waveform.dat 1 -xreg vcsf.dat 5 -xreg wm.dat 5 -xreg mcprextreg 6 -hpf
.01 -lpf .08 -nskip 4 -o cor_s1s2.dat

My first question is about the size of the vcsf.dat and wm.dat files. They seem
to be (N+1)xN matrices, where N is the number of timepoints in the signal. Does
this mean there are N+1 components for each time point (i.e., N+1 potential
regressors to add)? What do they exactly correspond to and how do they relate
to the average signal from the ventricles, CSF, and white matter?
Each ROI consists of a matrix of size Ntp-by-Nvoxels. A PCA is computed from
this matrix. The the number of temporal components of the PCA will be either
Ntp or Nvoxels, which ever is less. In this case, Nvoxels>Ntp, so you see the
Ntp components (each Ntp long). The components are whatever the PCA finds. The
mean is removed, so it no component represents the mean.

My other question is about the number of components to include for vcsf.dat and
wm.dat. I have seen 5 recommended in examples, however, five components seem to
explain very different amount of variance in different subjects and if I change
this number for a given subject, I see substantial changes in the resulting
correlation value. I would appreciate any suggestion on how to select an
unbiased value for the number of components to include. Could including up to
the component at which fixed percentage of cumulative variance is explained be
a solution?
When I was doing experiments with this years ago, i did not find much of a
difference with different numbers of components, but I did the experiments on
whole brain resting state, so the ROI-wise correlation may be different. It
seemed like 5 components explained the bulk of the variance within the ROI (WM
or CSF). You could vary the number of components for each subject. Sorry, I
don't have any better guidance on how to go about selecting the number.
doug

Many thanks for your help!

Best,
Hamdi